Vision & Mission
Matter of Trust
Welcome to Matter of Trust!
Humanity living in harmony with Earth.
To link surplus with needs.
We serve communities by:
• Mobilizing innovative cottage-industry recycling systems. (Clean Wave)
• Developing and growing an environmental social media platform. (Hum Sum)
• Researching and showcasing planet-friendly inspirations for home and workplaces. (Eco-Home)
• Implementing programs that nurture healthy soils and celebrate clean air, water, and energy. (Eco-Hub)
• Empowering youth to explore green careers through apprenticeships. (YEEP)
Our goal is to encourage optimism and trust in nature’s abundant cycles.
Matter of Trust is an ecological* public charity established in 1998.
*Ecology is the study of life in environments.
Lisa and Betty, President and VP, respectively, of Matter of Trust, outside our model Eco-Home in Haight Ashbury, San Francisco.
Felters make hair mats for oil spills at the Matter of Trust Eco-Industrial Hub – model factory.
The front exterior of our Eco-Industrial Hub. SOMA, San Francisco.
Our Goals & Objectives
for 2022 & 2023
- To move our ecological social media platform TheHumSum.org for humanity adding solutions, from Beta to Official Launch! Opening wide its event calendars, forums & communitis, galleries of organized free stuff – gifts & wishes, eco-commitments counters, private messenger, environmental reports and more…
- To host six week-long MofT Eco-Home general public open houses; one every 2 months throughout the year, each concentrating on a different room/area of the house and how to make it planet-friendly.
- To increase staff at our flagship working model factory the Eco-Industrial Hub
- To sign MOUs with five major research partners for research projects on the Global Compost Project, Clean Wave, Affordable Housing & Homelessness, Desalination, and Deconstructibles.
- To open ten recycled fiber felting MofT Clean Wave Global Hubs making mats for oil spill clean up and more. COMPLETED now onward to 300
- To update online and reprint the 3rd edition of our It’s Easy Being Green eco-tips book.
- To launch an online Resource Library – MofT Archive with 2500 local to global eco-innovations, research and write-ups. COMPLETED!
- To expand our Youth Eco-Educational Programs (YEEP) and partner with 25 key classrooms on the MofT Clean Wave, Hum Sum and Peace of Mind kits programs.
- To celebrate with MofT YEEP program’s over 100 interns & apprentices alums at our launch of Where Are They Now project for MofT’s 25th Anniversary in 2023!
Our Core Values
(Beliefs / Behaviors)
• Always presume there is more to learn from Nature
• Orchestrate truly helpful, beneficial programs that are in concert with nature
• Only work on projects that improve lives and respect environments
• Listen to society
• Hail engagement in ecology, renewable resources, sorting and using recycling
• Be inclusive (mailroom to the main office, drawing board to the boardroom, boots on the ground to seats at the table…)
• Always seek out perspectives and incentives from others, applauding project ownership
• Celebrate peer-recognized mastery in all sectors – high tech and low tech
• Promote enthusiasm whenever you see it. Truth is the daughter of Time but Apathy is her evil twin
• Nurture only what we DO want for the planet.
• Matter of Trust (but verify), we install and reproduce eco-inventions in-house, whenever possible, to see results with our own eyes.
The front exterior of our model Eco-Home. Haight Ashbury, San Francisco.
Our Guiding Principles
• Look deep into nature to find answers.
• Study matters at both micro and macro levels.
• Grow through partnerships.
• Leading by example trumps lecturing. Demonstrate the benefits of a life in pursuit of service, kindness, generosity, respect, empathy, liberty and happiness. Be encouraging to all who want to join.
• To follow life’s passion and find dharma simply be where time flies, where curiosity abounds, and energy renews freely.
• Try not to reinvent the wheel when it doesn’t assist innovation.
• Honor youthful energy, hands-on experience & expertise of those in the field, and the wisdom of seniors.
• Important and immersive media and exhibits hold responsibility for providing inspiration and information, ideally leading to education and long-term individual or large-scale societal transformation.
• Follow Mother Nature’s lead, be a catalyst and encourage complex, organized, integrated cycles.
• Textiles are rated on how well they hold together or fall apart on a scale of integrity. The fabrics of society and reality work by similar principles. The more our single threads, overlap, interweave, and entangle – the stronger we all are!
1. Eco-Industrial Hub – At our model factory we make oil spill mats out of recycled clippings of hair, fur and fleece from salons, groomers, and farmers. Our exhibit hall walls discuss best practices for sorting waste into resources, as well as perspectives, incentives, challenges and solutions for clean air, water, energy, and manufacturing.
2. The Eco-Home – showcases greening all areas of the house and fun ways to ecologize your holiday celebrations throughout the year. Starting with Bee My Valentine (Bedrooms), Spring Greening (Bathrooms and Storage), Greendependence Day (Home Office / Home Gym), Fall-ing for Harvests (Kitchen and Dining), Haunted Eeek-o-Home (Exterior and Garden), and ending with Seasons Greenings (Living room).
3. Urban Edible Garden – Explore our research projects made to uplift and heal the mind, body, and soil. Visit our tiny home, solar fan aerated compost pile, laundry to landscapes gray water system, dog poo composter, chicken coop, fog catcher, raised veggie beds, beehive, bat house, and more.
4. Clean Wave Program – our flagship Eco-Hub, and the MofT Satellites around the world, make mats that are installed to soak up petroleum spills. Together with researchers, purchasers. artists… this program keeps waterways clean, sorts trash into resources, educates the public and creates green jobs!
5. The Hum Sum – for Humanity Adding Solutions – our online, environmental, social media platform that allows everyone (individuals, businesses, government departments, schools, nonprofits…) from around the world to connect on climate. We have forums, local to global events calendars, eco-commitment counters, and a free stuff / services / wishlist exchange.
6. YEEP – Our Youth Eco-Educational Programs and Pilot Projects department. We host field trips, volunteers, internships, apprenticeships, research projects, web moderators, and more…
7. Other Projects – We have many other delightful in-house programs and projects that we fiscal sponsorships. These include: Heart of the City Farmers’ Market Food Security Education, Sonoma Food Runners, the Global Compost Project, Peace of Mind Kits, Zero Waste Flash Mobs, and many more…
The Hum Sum – Our Eco Social Media Platform that we created for Humanity Adding Solutions
Eco: Ancient Greek work for a relationship between life and surroundings, home farm, planet
Ecology: Study of the relationship between living organisms and their environment (ecosystems, economics, ecotourism…)
Renewable Resources: Regenerative materials that can be collected in ways that encourage replenishing and do no harm
Surplus: Excess, leftover, supply over demand
Zero-waste: Responsible sourcing, production, consumption, reuse, recovery, and recycling of materials
Deconstructable: Manufacturing and building with disassembly and recycling in mind
Cottage Industry: A business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person’s home
Micro-Enterprise: Small scale business with less than six employees
70:30 Local to Global Principle: A lifestyle where 70% of purchases have three degrees or less of separation from source materials and manufacturers. 30% of purchases are exotic with no means of connection with farmers or fabricators.
Our Press Release Boilerplate
Matter of Trust, a 501(c)(3) environmental public charity established in 1998, has two locations in San Francisco, California: our Eco-Industrial Hub with model factory and our showcase Eco-Home with its urban edible garden. The lion’s share of our 50+ programs (in-house and fiscal sponsorships) link surplus with needs and spotlight renewable resources.
In addition, we run an online platform, TheHumSum.org for Humanity Adding Solutions, and orchestrate the Clean Wave Program, which collects and felts waste fibers into mats that soak up oil spills, now with satellites in the US, UK, EU, Chile, Australia, and beyond.
Working with youth, we celebrate optimism for the future and promote ecology (the study of life in environments.)
Our front door gate at the Eco-Home, made out of 60% recycled auto parts by Daniel Macchiarini.