Vision & Mission
Matter of Trust
Welcome to Matter of Trust!
Humanity living in harmony with Earth.
To link surplus with needs.
We serve communities by:
- Mobilizing innovative cottage-industry recycling systems. (Clean Wave)
- Developing and growing an environmental social media platform. (Hum Sum)
- Researching and showcasing planet-friendly inspirations for home and workplaces. (Eco-Home)
- Implementing programs that nurture healthy soils and celebrate clean air, water, and energy. (Eco-Hub)
- Empowering youth to explore green careers through apprenticeships. (YEEP)
Our goal is to encourage optimism and trust in nature’s abundant cycles.
Matter of Trust is an ecological* public charity established in 1998.
*Ecology is the study of life in environments.
Lisa and Betty, President and VP, respectively, of Matter of Trust, outside our model Eco-Home in Haight Ashbury, San Francisco.
Felters make hair mats for oil spills at the Matter of Trust Eco-Industrial Hub – model factory.
The front exterior of our Eco-Industrial Hub. SOMA, San Francisco.
Our Goals & Objectives for 2021 & 2022
- To host six MofT Eco-Home general public open houses; one every 2 months throughout the year, each concentrating on a different room/area of the house.
- To launch our environmental social media platform with event calendars, forums, free gift / wish exchange, eco-commitments counters… TheHumSum.org for humanity adding solutions.
- To launch an online Resource Library – MofT Archive with 2500 local to global eco-innovations, research and write-ups.
- To update and reprint the 2nd edition of our It’s Easy Being Green book.
- To research five Global Compost Project satellite partners.
- To open ten recycled fiber felting MofT Clean Wave satellites for making mats for oil spill clean up
- To partner with 25 classrooms on MofT Clean Wave, Hum Sum and Peace of Mind kits programs.
- To celebrate MofT interns and apprentice program with our launch of Where Are They Now project for MofT’s 2023 25th Anniverary.
• Nurture only what we DO want for the planet.
• Study matters at both micro and macro levels.
• Look deep into nature to find answers.
• Follow Mother Nature’s lead, be a catalyst and encourage complex, organized, integrated cycles.
• Promote enthusiasm for ecology, renewable resources, sorting and using recycling.
• Be inclusive (mailroom to the boardroom, drawing board to the boardroom, boots on the ground to seats at the table…).
• Always seek out perspectives and incentives from others, encouraging project ownership.
• Value youthful energy, hands-on experience, expertise and the wisdom of seniors.
• Celebrate peer-recognized mastery in all sectors – high tech and low tech.
• Remember Truth is the daughter of Time, and Apathy is her evil twin, so it’s important to engage.
• Matter of Trust (but verify), we install or reproduce eco-inventions in-house, whenever possible, to see results with our own eyes.
The front exterior of our model Eco-Home. Haight Ashbury, San Francisco.
Our Core Principles
Learn from society and nature: We organize, develop, participate in and fund research projects with universities and other partners so that we can test potential natural solutions, see and share results with our own eyes. Also, we host open houses to gather perspectives and incentives from the public.
Orchestrate beneficial programs that improve lives and environments: Our Eco-Home and Clean Wave Program directly impact clean water, green jobs, eco-education about renewables, debris-free recycling, sorting waste into resources, and much more.
To gather and present useful ecological information in immersive, inspirational ways: Students, locals, and tourists get to enjoy how to incorporate planet-friendly ideas into their immediate environment when they visit the Eco-Hub and Eco-Home. Our resources include rotating and permanent exhibits, corporate off-site and field trips, our Easy Being Green book, videos, lesson plans, eco-innovations resource library, and more…
Provide popular, large-scale platforms that are inclusive and helpful: Our Humanity Adding Solutions platform – the Hum Sum – with members forums, event calendars, free exchange, eco-commitments, surveys, resources is free to the public.
Lead by example and grow through partnerships: We practice a hands-on approach to research, programs, and systems. Through our model factory, showcase home, urban edible garden, satellite MofT felters, lectures, beautiful eco-art installations… we immerse visitors into a world of possibilities while gathering their perspectives and incentives. We strongly avoid reinventing the wheel and like to build collaborations between sectors and network to find peer acknowledged experts up and down the ladder.
1. Eco-Industrial Hub – At our model factory we make oil spill mats out of recycled clippings of hair, fur and fleece from salons, groomers, and farmers. Our exhibit hall walls discuss best practices for sorting waste into resources, as well as perspectives, incentives, challenges and solutions for clean air, water, energy, and manufacturing.
2. The Eco-Home – showcases greening all areas of the house and fun ways to ecologize your holiday celebrations throughout the year. Starting with Bee My Valentine (Bedrooms), Spring Greening (Bathrooms and Storage), Greendependence Day (Home Office / Home Gym), Fall-ing for Harvests (Kitchen and Dining), Haunted Eeek-o-Home (Exterior and Garden), and ending with Seasons Greenings (Living room).
3. Urban Edible Garden – Explore our research projects made to uplift and heal the mind, body, and soil. Visit our tiny home, solar fan aerated compost pile, laundry to landscapes gray water system, dog poo composter, chicken coop, fog catcher, raised veggie beds, beehive, bat house, and more.
4. Clean Wave Program – our flagship Eco-Hub, and the MofT Satellites around the world, make mats that are installed to soak up petroleum spills. Together with researchers, purchasers. artists… this program keeps waterways clean, sorts trash into resources, educates the public and creates green jobs!
5. The Hum Sum – for Humanity Adding Solutions – our online, environmental, social media platform that allows everyone (individuals, businesses, government departments, schools, nonprofits…) from around the world to connect on climate. We have forums, local to global events calendars, eco-commitment counters, and a free stuff / services / wishlist exchange.
6. Other Projects – We have many other delightful in-house programs and projects that we fiscal sponsorships. These include: Heart of the City Farmers’ Market Food Security Education, Sonoma Food Runners, the Global Compost Project, Peace of Mind Kits, Zero Waste Flash Mobs, and more…
The Hum Sum – Our Eco Social Media Platform that we created for Humanity Adding Solutions
Eco: Ancient Greek work for a relationship between life and surroundings, home farm, planet
Ecology: Study of the relationship between living organisms and their environment (ecosystems, economics, ecotourism…)
Renewable Resources: Regenerative materials that can be collected in ways that encourage replenishing and do no harm
Surplus: Excess, leftover, supply over demand
Zero-waste: Responsible sourcing, production, consumption, reuse, recovery, and recycling of materials
Deconstructable: Manufacturing and building with disassembly and recycling in mind
Cottage Industry: A business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person’s home
Micro-Enterprise: Small scale business with less than six employees
70:30 Local to Global Principle: A lifestyle where 70% of purchases have three degrees or less of separation from source materials and manufacturers. 30% of purchases are exotic with no means of connection with farmers or fabricators.
Our Press Release Boilerplate
Matter of Trust, a 501(c)(3) environmental public charity established in 1998, has two locations in San Francisco, California: our Eco-Industrial Hub with model factory and our showcase Eco-Home with its urban edible garden. The lion’s share of our 50+ programs (in-house and fiscal sponsorships) link surplus with needs and spotlight renewable resources.
In addition, we run an online platform, TheHumSum.org for Humanity Adding Solutions, and orchestrate the Clean Wave Program, which collects and felts waste fibers into mats that soak up oil spills, now with satellites in the US, UK, EU, Chile, Australia, and beyond.
Working with youth, we celebrate optimism for the future and promote ecology (the study of life in environments.)
Our front door gate at the Eco-Home, made out of 60% recycled auto parts by Daniel Macchiarini.