Also see: How Everyone Can Help
State of California Department of Toxic Substances and Control, Andy Berna-Hicks (DTSC), Greg Williams (DTSC), and Robert Boggs, (DTSC) who with the San Francisco Department of Public Health, Patrice Fosdahl (DPH), , have been invaluable in showing us how to properly submit the paperwork for this “Treatability Study.” DTSC Title 22, section 66261.4 (e).
Cynthia Knowles and Debbie Rafael from the SF Department of the Environment for all their expertise in toxics and contacts.
Tia Lombardi, Jean Koch, Andrea Anderson, Stever Oberman, Aimee Vincent, Dana Polk and all the people from the Presidio Trust who have offered a location for the remediation to take place once we have the permits.
Paul Stamets and David Sumerlin and Fungi.com for donating $10,000 worth of oil eating oyster mushrooms spawn and their time in the remediation process. Fungi and remediation experts such as Ken Litchfield, Jack Word, John and Toby of Far West Fungi, amongst many, many others are calling in to provide their services and let Mother Nature show her stuff!
Blair Becker, Mario Quezada and Phil McCrory (barber and hairmat inventor) at SmartGrow.net who manufacture hairmats in China and donated large amounts of the hairmats to naturally soak up the oil that washed up onto Ocean Beach. And to SF Surfrider who also purchased and donated hairmats.
Maryann Francis and Denis Maricle from St. Vincent de Paul Society of Lane County who donated the warehouse space to Matter of Trust for all the thousands of salons mailing in hair clippings for the mats made here in the US.
SF Mayor Gavin Newsom, Dan Homsey, Vicki Hennessy SF City Hall, Jared Blumenfeld SF Environment, Debbie Raphael SF Environment, Tom Padia Stop Waste Alameda, Paul Yamamoto Norcal, Robert Reed Norcal, Michelle Rodgow EPA, Jepson Ho, Steve Jones, and Mike Plant Public Utilities Commission, Sandy Cuadra Public Works, David Dell’Osso NRC Environmental Services, Laura Philips and Dave Ebarle, SF Department of Emergency Management, and all the PRESS, especially Meredith May at the SF Chronicle, for making calls, offering advice, and going the extra mile even through weekends, Thanksgiving break, etc. to push this green project forward.
So many generous volunteers such as Lori Schwilling, Jennifer Gorospie, Val Peters, Diane Whitmore, Alicia Snow, Mia Rites, Meg O’shaughnessy, Denise Gregory, Gina, Logan Tautenhahn, Loriel, Theresa Halula, Sarah Wieland, Karen, Tyler Young, Mona Miri, Spencer, Alastair Bland and many more!
As they say, the Holiday Season is the time for miracles, and with this many movers and shakers in the mix, San Francisco Bay Area is showing that anything is possible! But oil spills are everywhere and this is beyond a San Francisco Bay Area collaboration! See how EVERYBODY CAN HELP to green oil spill cleanup.
From the moment concerned citizens started coming out to help clean up the beaches and with the oily-hairmat-eating mushroom treatability study, donations and supplies have been pouring in from everywhere!
Ocean Beach Cleanup Donors:
– FUNGI.COM – $10,000 worth of OIL/ HAIR EATING MUSHROOMS FOR TOXIC WASTE
– STARBUCKS COFFEE – Laurel Village donated 180 Cups of hot coffee and Irving Street 30% Off and Mattero of Trust donated 70%
– COLE HARDWARE (All 4 stores) -Reduced the prices of protective white Tyvex suits and tarps by 40% and Matter of Trust donated 60%
– PEET’S COFFEE – donated 180 Cups of hot coffee
– LA BOULANGE – Donated fresh warm bread and pastries (both for Saturday and Sunday volunteers)
– TRADER JOES – Donated full cases of bananas, apples, and 2 flats of water
– SAN FRANCISCO RECYCLING AND DISPOSAL – Donated Tyvek suits and tarps
– SAN FRANCISCO DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT USED MOTOR OIL CAMPAIGN -Toxic waste disposal assistance and their stock of 800 hair mats
– BEACH CHALET / PARK CHALET – 5 Gallon Keg of their microbrewery beer and cups
– GEORGIOS PIZZA – 2 EXTRA LARGE PIZZAS Sunday crowd
– AQUA SURF – Donated the VOLUNTEER COFFEE BREAK TENT when we were out there in the pouring rain!
– LIGHT AND MOTION – Donated lighting equipment ARC and SOLO for nighttime wildlife rescue and recovery
– SF SURFRIDER.ORG – Donated $5,000 for 10,000 more hairmats to clean oiled rocks and provide to Coast Guard for use from boats to test oil sheen removal.