Our ecological public charity concentrates on
Surplus & Needs, Natural Abundance,
CURRENT YEAR (2018)
- 2018 – We have 75 programs to date, 30 of which are current in either research & development or active modes while 45 have been completed and archived. All are documented at MatterOfTrust.org.
- 2018 – Matter of Trust has created TheHumSum.org program and partnered with the San Francisco Department of the Environment, Governor Brown of California and the United Nations Foundation on the public platform for the Global Climate Action Summit, hosted in the city of San Francisco September 2018.
- 2018 – University of Technology Sydney Australia partners with, and sites, Matter of Trust in paper stating hair is significantly better at adsorbing oil than all other materials.
- 2018 – National Geographic France writes article on the Eco-Hub.
- 2018 – Official press release stating scientists and engineers at the Air Force Civil Engineering Center at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida are collaborating with Matter of Trust, Inc. to explore the use of renewable natural fibers for filtration.
- 2018 – Matter of Trust has obtained a permanent location in Cole Valley/Haight Ashbury and the Change of Use and building permits from the San Francisco Planning and Building Departments for a public Model Eco-Apartment with an Edible Garden (Eco-Home) which will concentrate on how renters and city dwellers can enjoy healthy eco-lifestyles for mind, body and soil.
- Matter of Trust has a large and growing membership to its Excess Access online mobile-friendly, in-kind donation program and over 33,300 people on our Facebook page. We are also rapidly growing Twitter and Instagram.
- Matter of Trust has a substantial number of press clippings and TV / radio interviews, including a front-page article in the Wall Street Journal and several appearances on national news networks as well as interviews with BBC, Le Monde, National Geographique France and other international sources.
- All Matter of Trust programs have been very resourceful; we have always been debt free, liability free, and litigation free, and we are up to date in all forms, licenses, and requirements. We hold San Francisco City and County vendor status and current accounts with sam.gov and grants.gov.
- 2017 – Matter of Trust opens its Eco-Hub, permanent location in SOMA near the SF Department of the Environment, Moscone Convention Center and Civic Center. The Matter of Trust Eco-Industrial Hub has a model working eco-factory and exhibits which concentrate on Clean Air, Water, Energy, Ideal Materials and Green Careers.
- 2016 – Matter of Trust partners with Dr. Gary Andersen, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and San Francisco Department of the Environment for Thermophilic Composting of Pharmaceutical Compounds.
- 2016 – Matter of Trust partners with U.S. Department of Energy and San Francisco Department of Environment for Solar and Storage Resilience.
- 2016 – In our 4th year of successful summer youth camps, Matter of Trust in partnership with Presidio Hill School, Tree Frog Treks, and many more partners, Todd Ditto, provides LEAF Academy for intensive two-week field trip filled courses on Leadership, Ecology, Action and Fellowship to middle school kids.
- 2015 – Matter of Trust is a presenting partner on the documentary film, Racing to Zero. Executive Producer Diana Fuller, Directed by Christopher Beaver. Patrice and Lisa Gautier, founders of Matter of Trust also hold producer credits.
- 2015 – Matter of Trust orchestrates a Zero Waste Flash Mob, hosted by the Presidio Trust, at their Sunday Father’s Day picnic with 8,000 attendees. On the scenic Presidio National Park Parade Grounds, by the Golden Gate Bridge, crowds danced and sorted trash into blue and green bins. Other partners included SF Conservation Corp, CalRecycle, SF Environment, Luminalt Solar, Off the Grid and Recology.
- 2015 – Matter of Trust President, Lisa Gautier, hosts A Toast to Compost in Paris during the United Nations COP21 Climate Conference Celebrations. Traveling with a large group representing cities and experts on compost, soil carbon, recycling and climate solutions, Lisa promotes our Global Compost Project collaborative .
- 2015 – Matter of Trust has benchmarked hosting over 50 youth in our green jobs internship program in partnership with JVS, John O’Connell High School, Lick Wilmerding High School, Lycée Francais de SF, and SF STEM Academy.
- 2014 – The Global Compost Film Contest is launched in partnership with SF Green Film Festival – http://www.greenfilmfest.org.
- 2014 – Matter of Trust launches the Global Compost Project.org collaborative with a mobile friendly site and pledge page.
- June 10th, 2013 – Matter of Trust Eco-Center Grand Opening at 3338 17th Street in San Francisco’s vibrant inner-city Mission District. The Eco-Center programs are informational (exhibits, tours, resource material handouts, events, eco-gift shop, eco-baby showers, kids b’Earthday parties) educational (field trips, courses, classes, camps, roundtables, panels,) and transformational (green jobs, campaigns, mobilizations).
- 2012 – Earth Day’s A Maze – Earth Day SF – Matter of Trust provides a large-scale living bamboo plant maze for the public in San Francisco’s Civic Center Plaza. Thousands of visitors weaved their way through, aided by answering ecological questions with arrows for advancing if they got them right or backtracking if wrong.
- 2011 – School of Fish – Earth Day SF – Matter of Trust provides a large-scale exhibit on plastic in the oceans. In San Francisco’s Civic Center Plaza, two Giant 16-foot fish sculptures, made out of collected beach plastics, defined the entrance to the event. We orchestrated student art from many schools as well as artists Grier Blumenschine, Tim Crowe, Louis Chinn and The Quarry Lane School in Pleasanton. For our “talking” fish, we interviewed, then edited the voice of Jean Michel Cousteau, who gave ocean facts to visitors as they walked in.
- 2011 Matter of Trust collection of 8,000+ donated eyeglasses and medical mission to Peru with Dr. Rosa Ten.
- 2010 – The Environmental Protection Agency publicly stated, during the BP Horizon Spill in the Gulf of Mexico, that Matter of Trust’s Clean Wave program led the fastest growing national grassroots recycling mobilization they had ever seen. From the 2nd-6th weeks after the explosion, the charity received hair and fur clipping donations from every zip code in North America and 30 other countries according to the US postal service. 19 warehouses from the Florida Keys to Texas were donated in order to temporarily house the hundreds of thousands of boxes. The donated fibers were hand stuffed by thousands of volunteers into oil spill cleanup booms.
- 2010 – Matter of Trust won the Pavitra Crimmel Reuse Award in 2010 from the California Resource Recovery Association.
- 2009 – Wall Street Journal front page article on Matter of Trust
- 2008 – Remediation and composting of Oil Spill Debris using mushrooms, thermophilic piles and vermiculture.
- 2008 – Matter of Trust fiscally sponsored “The Fuel Film” by Josh Tickell which won the coveted Audience Prize at the Sundance Film Festival 2008 and was 2009 Academy Awards Qualified.
- 2007 – Oil Spill Clean Up with Hair Mats – Cosco Busan in San Francisco Bay Area.
- 2006 – Matter of Trust’s Hurricane Katrina Relief programs for in-kind donations led to our Peace of Mind Kits – an Ecological Complement to the Disaster Kit. This program led to our inclusion in the San Francisco Mayoral Committee for Disaster Preparedness.
- 2005 – Matter of Trust’s Biodiesel for Muni feasibility program in collaboration with the San Francisco Department of the Environment led to the citywide bus system transfer to biodiesel.
- 2005 – Matter of Trust was awarded the Certificate of Honor by Mayor Gavin Newsom, the City/County of San Francisco. Honoree Lisa Gautier, President, recognized for dedication to urban environment and city dwellers around the world particularly in support of Matter of Trust’s important role in organizing widespread Community Programs during the United Nations World Environment Day 2005.
- 2003 – Matter of Trust and Jennifer Pratt research, write, edit and publish It’s Easy Being Green – A Helpful and Humorous Eco-tips book of 230 pages, printed on hemp paper with soy ink. This book has been gifted in person to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Former US Vice President Al Gore, Steve Jobs, founder of Apple, Inc. and several other notable dignitaries.
- 2000 – The Clean Wave Program. Phil McCrory, a hair stylist and inventor, partners with Matter of Trust to collect hair clippings and create a national waste fiber recycling system.
- 2000 – The Excess Access program receives the BAA – PCCF Business Environmental Award for Environmental Enterprise by the County of Santa Clara with Supervisorial Commendation.
- 1999 – May – Matter of Trust is incorporated. Our thanks to Paul Newman’s lawyers Nevas, Nevas, Capasse and Gerard in Connecticut for setting up our public charity and with Excess Access as our first program.
- 1998 – November – Matter of Trust is founded by Lisa Gautier with the help of her husband Patrice Gautier and many advisors.